For Printable Recipe Card, Please Scroll to the Bottom.
CROCK POT CUBE STEAK RECIPE
We all want to feed our families healthy, nutritious and delicious food without breaking the bank. It is important for growing kids to eat their protein but some cuts of meat can be quite expensive. In comes cubed steak. We sometimes shy away from using it because it can be a bit on the tough side, even if they “cube” it to tenderize it. The best way to avoid this is cooking it in the slow cooker.
Crock pot cubed steak comes out really tender and this recipe makes an amazing gravy. Best thing is, all you have to do is place everything inside the pot, turn it on and voila, the crock pot cubed steak recipe cooks itself!
CROCK POT CUBED STEAK INGREDIENTS
There are six people in my family, so I buy 1 ½ lbs of cubed steak, which is like 6 or 7 small steaks.
To make the gravy, I use two cans of cream of mushroom soup (2- 10.5 oz cans) and one packet of Lipton onion soup mix (sometimes I use brown gravy if I don’t have onion soup mix).
For added flavor and texture, sliced sweet yellow onions and mushrooms are a must, and dried parsley, chili flakes, salt and pepper finish the dish.
Using onion soup mix is a great way to add flavor to any gravy. No one has time to make it from scratch.
HOW TO MAKE CUBED STEAK IN THE SLOW COOKER
Start by mixing the cream of mushroom soups and the packet of Lipton onion soup mix with a cup of water inside the crock pot. I like to use a whisk to ensure that everything is well combined.
I then layer the steaks and onions (one steak, then sliced onions, then another steak, onions, so on and so forth) inside the pot pushing them a little into the gravy.
Lastly, the sliced mushrooms are added on top. Put the lid on, turn the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours (check them at the 4 hour mark for tenderness) and you’re done.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CROCK POT CUBED STEAK?
This is not the most colorful dish, so to make the meal look more appealing I like to serve it with either a tomato salad with avocado and red onion, or with steamed veggies like carrots and broccoli.
White rice is also great with this dish, because you can eat it with extra gravy on top. Of course since I absolutely love a good loaf of crusty bread, I like to serve it with a slice of it to soak up every bit of gravy left on my plate.
CAN I PUT RAW MEAT IN THE CROCK POT
I would have to say no. For one, meat releases water when it thaws and this would make the gravy watery but more importantly, the slow cooker takes a long time to heat up and reach a safe temperature for killing bacteria. If meat is left for a long time at a low temperature (between 40 F and 140 F) bacteria can grow exponentially. The best way to thaw frozen meat is to leave it overnight inside your refrigerator.
DO I HAVE TO ADD EXTRA WATER WHEN COOKING MEAT IN THE CROCK POT?
If you plan on making a meat stew of any soup containing meat, you do have to add a good amount of water, but if all you want to make is cook meat and make gravy at the same time, a little water goes a long way. Remember you are using a condensed cream of mushroom soup, so a little water is needed to thin it out.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST CROCK POT CUBE STEAK:
1. Place the meat in layers alternating with the sliced onions, this way the meat won’t stick together and can cook properly.
2. Mix the cream of mushroom soups and onion soup mix with one cup of water before adding the meat to ensure the gravy will be lump free.
3. Add the herbs and spices of your choice (I used dried parsley, chili flakes, salt and pepper) to the gravy and mix them in before adding the meat.
4. Once you place all the meat inside the crock pot you don’t need to mess with the meat, but I would recommend stirring once mid cooking.
5. Check the meat for tenderness at the 4 hour mark. You don’t want the meat to be too tender to the point of becoming mushy.
DON’T LOSE THE DELICIOUS RECIPE! GO FOLLOW US OVER ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST FOR MORE RECIPES!
FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES, CHECK OUT:
- 1 ½ lbs cubed steak (about 6 steaks)
- 2- 10.5 oz cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 packet Lipton onion soup mix (you can also use a packet of brown gravy mix)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the cream of mushroom soup, french onion soup mix and water inside the crock pot. Add a layer of sliced onion. Mix to combine.
- Keep on layering the meat and sliced onions on top of the gravy.
- Add the sliced mushrooms on top of the meat, place the lid on and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, stirring mid cooking. Check the meat at the 4 hour mark for tenderness.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 1033mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 35g