For Printable Recipe Card, Please Scroll to the Bottom.
I am not good at baking, so I generally shy away from making desserts. Apple crisp is one of only a few dessert recipes that really comes out perfectly any time I make it and my family loves it.
When apples are in season, my easy apple crisp recipe is the first thing on my to-do list. It not only makes my kitchen smell heavenly, but it is so good I make it several times in the season.
There is nothing quite like warm apple crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or sweet homemade whipped cream on top. This is the best apple crisp recipe ever. It truly is super crispy on top while the apples remain soft and juicy on the bottom.
INGREDIENTS FOR APPLE CRISP RECIPE
- Sliced apples (you favorite apples)
- Granulated white sugar to make the apples sweet and juicy
- Lemon juice to keep the apples from turning brown
- Cooking spray
- Old fashioned oats (gives texture)
- All purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Butter (cold and cut into very small pieces)
- Pinch of salt (every desserts needs a pinch of salt)
- Chopped pecans
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CRISP
Any time you make a baked dessert, the first thing you need to do is preheat the oven.
To make the filling, slice the apples and place them into a bowl. Immediately squeeze the juice of half a lemon on them so they don’t oxidize and become brown. Add sugar and cinnamon, mix well and place them in a previously greased baking dish.
To make the crispy topping, in a medium-sized bowl mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar and salt. Using a pastry cutter, two forks or your fingers, mix the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse sand (although the oats will still remain intact).
Sprinkle the topping over the apples and bake for 45 minutes.
Let it cool down a little bit before serving so the juice from the apples settles.
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLES FOR APPLE CRISP?
Personally I like to use Granny Smith apples. I love tart apples and I think they can be mixed with sugar and still remain a bit tart. But any type of apple works well for apple crisp. You can use your favorite ones whatever is available. All apple crisp recipes use different apple varieties and all are delicious.
DO I NEED TO PEEL THE APPLES FOR APPLE CRISP?
It is not really necessary to peel the apples. I like to do it because I think the texture of apple crisp is better when the apples are peeled. But to be honest if you use unpeeled apples, you add more fiber to your dessert. Who doesn’t like a healthier version of dessert? I’m sure the peels cook down enough to be almost unnoticeable.
HOW DO I STORE APPLE CRISP RECIPE?
I place the leftovers in an airtight container and into the fridge for up to a week. It has enough sugar in it to last for 7 days without spoiling. You can also freeze apple crisp. Let it cool completely before placing it into an airtight container to avoid any extra moisture from forming and freeze for up to 4 months.
DON’T LOSE THE DELICIOUS RECIPE! GO FOLLOW US OVER ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST FOR MORE RECIPES!
FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES, CHECK OUT:
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Butter flavor cooking spray
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray the bottom and sides of a 7x11 inch baking dish with butter flavored cooking spray.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Place them in a bowl with the juice of half a lemon.
- Add the granulated sugar and cinnamon to the sliced apples. Mix well.
- Place the apples into the prepared baking dish and reserve.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oats, flour, salt and diced butter. Use a pastry cutter, two forks or your fingers to mix the butter in until everything resembles coarse sand.
- Spoon the topping over the apples and pat it down lightly. Sprinkle the chopped pecans on top and bake for 45 to 50 mins or until golden brown and bubbling. Let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 417Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 78gFiber: 6gSugar: 50gProtein: 5g