Classic Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce: I’ve never been to Coney Island but I’ve seen enough movies about the wonderful fair-like beach boardwalk to know it’s a very special and fun place. However, I have tried hot dogs with meat sauce and it is a combination to die for.
This Coney Island hot dog sauce is stacked with flavor and will upgrade your hot dog game to reach higher levels of deliciousness
It contains spices like cumin, allspice, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, ground mustard, and chili powder making a powerful combination of ground meat and tomato paste to make the famous Coney Island sauce for hot dogs
HOW TO MAKE CONEY ISLAND HOT DOG SAUCE
1. In a medium-sized pan or pot, cook the ground beef until browned. Drain excess liquids
2. Toss in some chopped onions
3. Measure and mix your spices into the ground meat and onions
4. Add your tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste
5. Lastly, add 2 cups of water and simmer for 1-2 hrs depending on how you like your meat sauce. Coney Island hot dog sauce is supposed to be a bit runny
CAN YOU FREEZE CONEY ISLAND HOT DOG MEAT SAUCE?
Absolutely! When you have the desired sauce consistency, let it cool completely, and put it in a freezer bag.
You can keep it in the freezer for 3 months. when ready to use, heat it in the microwave or a pan.
CAN YOU USE KETCHUP INSTEAD OF TOMATO PASTE?
Ketchup will add a bit of sweetness and acidity so maybe you can experiment with a small amount before deciding if you like it or not
If you don’t have tomato paste on hand, go ahead and use it, but I would recommend using tomato paste.
1.After adding your spice mix, give it a try. You may want to add a bit more of something like cayenne if you like to make it a bit hot.
2.Check on your sauce consistency every so often and stir it so it doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn.
3.You can play with your toppings. Add relish or chopped jalapeno peppers. Cheddar cheese is a fan favorite.
DON’T LOSE THE DELICIOUS RECIPE! GO FOLLOW US OVER ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST FOR MORE RECIPES!
Don’t lose this delicious recipes:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅙ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups of water
- FOR THE HOT DOGS:
- 12 hot dogs
- 12 hot dog buns
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- Prepared yellow mustard to taste
- OPTIONAL: Shredded cheddar to cheese
- In a medium-sized pot or pan, cook the ground beef until browned. Drain excess liquids
- Add the chopped onions
- Measure and mix your spices into the ground meat and onions
- Add tomato paste, salt, and pepper
- Lastly, add 2 cups of water and simmer for 1-2 hrs depending on how you like your meat sauce. Coney Island hot dog sauce is supposed to be a bit runny
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 871mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g