For Printable Recipe Card, Please Scroll to the Bottom.
This roasted tomato sauce made with fresh tomatoes is one the easiest and most great sauces of summer, but even during other seasons, roasted tomato sauce is incredibly delicious on pasta, lasagna, or as a dipping sauce for grilled vegetables or cheese. Give it a try, certainly, you won’t be disappointed!
Roasted Tomato Sauce ingredients needed
- Tomatoes. This sauce is perfect when made with summer’s bounty of vine-ripe fresh tomatoes. For complex flavors, use two or more types of tomato.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- For Olive oil, try to use a light good quality oil.
- Aromatic Herbs: Rosemary, oregano, Thyme, and fresh basil are all adding taste to tomatoes.
- Salt and pepper. taste and adjust.
- Chilli flakes are optional, it brings a spicy taste.
- Sugar is Optional. it depends on the tomatoes you are using (some are sweeter than others, you can add a pinch of sugar to temper tomatoes’ acidity ).
- Vegetables stock or water.
How to make easy roasted tomato sauce
You can make this recipe in several ways, the easiest one is :
Place ripe tomatoes on a large-rimmed baking sheet. drizzle the tomatoes with light olive oil and sprinkle with fresh garlic and aromatic herbs like rosemary, oregano, and thyme… Then season with salt and black pepper.
Place the pan in the oven until the skin has lifted off the tomatoes. In a deep pan, heat a splash of olive oil in a large pot then place the onion and allow to cook until the onion gets softened. Add garlic and allow to soften.
Pour all the tomatoes and their roasting juices into the mix of onion and garlic. Add dried Italian herbs, salt, and sugar if using it. Then add vegetable stock or water, turn the heat down, and allow to cook until the sauce gets reduced. Mash with a potato masher or a fork. you can also use a blender.
How to store roasted tomato sauce
If you don’t want to use it immediately, pour the sauce into airtight containers or lidded jars. Refrigerate and use within 3 days, or store in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Tomato sauce may keep well in the freezer, but it expands when frozen, which can cause a glass jar to shatter. Ideally, the sauce should be stored in hermetically sealed tins.
Allow the sauce to cool for 15-20 minutes, then place in jars and refrigerate. If you want to be sure that the freezer jar won’t burst, fill it and freeze the sauce without the lid. When the sauce is well frozen, replace the lid and place the jar in the freezer.
HOW TO USE ROASTED TOMATOES SAUCE
Roasted tomatoes sauce is an excellent base sauce for lasagna or pasta, or you can use it as a dipping sauce for roasted or grilled vegetables ( eggplant, cauliflower, potatoes, or mushrooms) or cheese ( parmesan or mozzarella sticks). You can try it also with meets ( grilled chicken, fish, or beef).
DON’T LOSE THE DELICIOUS RECIPE! GO FOLLOW US OVER ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST FOR MORE RECIPES!
FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES, CHECK OUT:
- 3 lbs rip medium and large tomatoes ( Approximately 1.5 kg)
- 4-6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, torn or chopped
- pinch of fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar ( optional)
- 1 Cup of vegetable stock or water
- Preheat over to 400 F (200°).
- Drizzle a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil and Sprinkle with garlic.
- Place the tomatoes on the sheet pan then add the rosemary or oregano and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix until get combined.
- Roast for 30 minutes or until the skin has lifted off the tomatoes.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large pot then place the onion and allow to cook until the onion gets softened.
- Add garlic and allow to soften for 2 minutes.
- Transfer roasted tomatoes to the mix of anion and garlic.
- To bring flavor around add sugar. this step depends on the tomatoes you are using (some are sweeter than others).
- Then add vegetable stock and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Taste and adjust.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 248mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g