I know that spaghetti and meatballs is a staple in every home, but have you ever attempted to make some traditional Swedish meatballs? This delicious recipe submerges the meatballs in mushroom creamy sauce, while your regular spaghetti and meatballs are cooked in some tomato sauce. I vouch for this Swedish meatballs recipe to blow your socks off!
Ingredients you’ll need:
With components you can quickly find in your own pantry, you can easily make the greatest Swedish meatballs.
- Ground beef. I prefer using 90% lean ground beef with this recipe, however, you go for ground chicken or turkey
- Egg allows the meat to hold together with the components
- Panko breadcrumbs. I like them best because they tend to soak up the liquid, and help keep the meatballs tender, but you can also go for regular breadcrumbs 4. Chopped onion and garlic adds flavor to the meat
- Nutmeg is the key spice to season traditional Swedish meatballs
- Parsley adds flavor if freshly minced to both the gravy and meat
- Beef broth that’s your sauce base
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup for the creamy consistency of the gravy
- Sour cream for that added creaminess
- Pasta. You can use any short pasta of your choosing to put the meatballs and gravy on top, like egg noodles.
PIN IT NOW to save for later!
How to make Swedish meatballs?
Using one frying pan for both the meatballs and gravy makes this recipe really simple to make..
1. Combine your ground beef, egg, Panko breadcrumbs, parsley, nutmeg, salt, pepper, chopped onion, and garlic in a medium bowl.
2. Make around 20 meatballs of your ground beef.
3. Put a big frying pan on medium-high heat, drizzle some olive oil, and cook in your meatballs until brown. Move them to a plate.
4. In the same frying pan, throw your sour cream, beef broth, condensed cream of mushroom soup, and parsley, and boil.
5. Transfer your meatballs back to the frying pan, submerge them in the sauce, and boil until your meatballs are fully cooked for around 5 to 7 minutes. Put on top of your cooked pasta when serving.
What to serve with Swedish meatballs?
I prefer to use soup or salad as a side for my dinners. The Best Cauliflower Soup recipe is one of my favorites, along with the Best Broccoli Cheese Soup, both match really well with these Swedish meatballs, which allows you to enjoy your vegetables as well!
If you’re anything like me, and you also love your vegetables, a really tasty option would be a Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad. I highly recommend my Pineapple Upside-Down Bundt Cake for dessert. It’s so delicious!
Can I make Swedish meatballs ahead of time?
You can also pre-make this recipe. Keep your meatballs with the gravy in the fridge for 3 days, and reheat them when you’re ready, or make your meatballs beforehand, and store them in the fridge until you’re cooking the gravy.
Don’t lose this delicious recipes:
- 1 lb of 90% lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of minced onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- ½ cup of Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 divided tablespoons of freshly minced parsley
- Salt and pepper to liking
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ¾ cup of beef broth
- 1 can of 10 and ½ ounce condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream
- Freshly boiled pasta
- Combine your ground beef, egg, Panko breadcrumbs, parsley, nutmeg, salt, pepper, chopped onion, and garlic in a medium bowl.
- Make around 20 meatballs of your ground beef.
- Put a big frying pan on medium-high heat, drizzle some olive oil, and cook in your meatballs until brown. Move them to a plate.
- In the same frying pan, throw your sour cream, beef broth, condensed cream of mushroom soup, and parsley, and boil.
- Transfer your meatballs back to the frying pan, submerge them in the sauce, and boil until your meatballs are fully cooked for around 5 to 7 minutes. Put on top of your cooked pasta when serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 809mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 40g
Sos Recipes is not staffed by nutritionists or dietitians, and any provided nutritional information is an approximation. If calorie count and nutritional value are crucial to you, we suggest inputting the ingredients into your preferred online nutritional calculator. The actual calorie and nutritional content may differ based on the brands used.